Sunday 17 June 2012

Crohn's Disease

As my previous post states - I have Crohns Disease. Sometimes when I tell people this, they give me a very blank look, followed by 'Oh right'.

Now,  Im guessing these people think - 'oh my god, what is THAT?'

So, here is some infomation about Crohns which I think will help to answer this question;

What is Crohn's disease?

Crohn's disease is a condition that causes inflammation of the wall of the gut. Any part of the gut can be affected. This can lead to various symptoms. Crohn's disease is named after Dr Crohn, the person who first described the disease in the 1930s.

What are the symptoms?


  • Diarrhoea is the most common symptom.


  • Pain. The site of the pain depends on which part of the gut is affected.


  • Weight loss that is not intentional is another common symptom.


  • Ulcers. An ulcer is a raw area of the lining of the gut which may bleed.


  • Generally feeling unwell which may include loss of appetite, fever, and tiredness.


  • Anaemia may occur if you lose a lot of blood.


  • Mouth ulcers are common.


  • 
    Photo showing colonoscopy results of crohns




    


    

    1 comment:

    1. I think its great that you feel comfortable posting this on your blog, and sharing such a peronal thing with us! Would love it if you could take a look at my blog -
      http://lucy-abigail.blogspot.co.uk/
      Lucy
      x

      ReplyDelete